Kids and Mommy

Kids and Mommy

Monday, November 1, 2010

One Week To Go!!

Wow, I can't believe the marathon is on Sunday!  I feel like I have been training forever and it almost feels weird to be running less.  This week's long run was only 8 miles as I taper down before the big day.  This last week of running is very light as well, which is great, but for some reason it feels like slacking.

This is the first week, I think, that it wasn't beautiful out for my long run.  It was a really grey, chilly, windy, about-to-rain sort of day and it was hard for me to get motivated to run.  We met with Pepere and Oma in Concord and got some stuff for Halloween.  Pepere and Oma took the kids to the Audubon Society where they saw an owl and hawk.  Apparently the best part for Constantine was seeing the owl poop, he thought that was pretty funny!  Anyway, when we got home I just wanted to hang out with the family, but I made myself go since it was only 8 miles and I am so close to finishing this challenge.  It actually did start to rain shortly after I started running and I wanted to go home with my good excuse, but I kept going.  The rain stopped after just a little bit and I ended up having a really good run.

The next day was Halloween and we went out to the middle school in town where there were local businesses  set up inside.  This was awesome since it was really cold outside.  Constantine wanted to be Thomas (Of course!) and his costume turned out great in his chair.  Dom made his own costume and dressed up as Thomas' engineer.  Aurelia was a little horse.  She was actually scared of her costume for a while so I was happy to see her put it on and wear it so easily on Halloween.  I went as a cowgirl with my horse.  We went to the middle school then C wanted to trick-or-treat more so we went to the surrounding area for a little while.  He really loved it so it was hard to stop, but it was so cold and late for them to be out.  Last Halloween Constantine was in the hospital, so this was 100 times better than that.

November will mark a year of no hospitalizations for Constantine.  I thought that was going to be our life, going in and out of the hospital, but this has been a great year.  Our whole life is based around keeping our kids healthy and keeping him out of the hospital and I feel like we must be doing something right.  I know I tend to focus on the fun things in our life when I write this blog, I do that because that is what I do in life and that is what gets me through.  This is not easy, it's hard and scary, but we make the very best of it.  We are also very lucky because there are so many families of kids with SMA who have it much worse than us, have kids just as bright as Constantine who are unable to speak for lack of muscle tone.  I hope that my doing this has helped raise some awareness about SMA and hopefully some money to help find a CURE!

I have received donations in the form of checks and cash as well as on the Firstgiving site.  There have also been donations made to Constantine's medical fund.  After the marathon I'll post the total amount that I raised, so don't just go by the bubble thing on the side because that doesn't take everything into account!  Thank you so much for your donations, this money really will bring us closer to a cure!  Thanks for reading our story too, the next time I post I will be a marathoner!!!  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck today. I doubt you remember, but we met once in Boston when your son and my son were getting their tubes changed. We both have had Mary as our nurse in our past. I hope today goes great and will be praying for a cure for Constantine.

    ReplyDelete